Saturday, December 4, 2021

Crispin The Cross of Lead by Avi

 

"Lady Fortune is friend and foe.

Of poor she makes rich and rich poor also.

Turns misery to prosperity

And wellness unto woe.

So let no man trust this lady

Who turns her wheel ever so!"

        -Bear's song, from the novel

Recently I have read and blogged 2 selections of children's literature. I mentioned earlier that I read The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe because of my granddaughter's performance in a school drama. There is a very different motivation for this one. A friend asked for suggestions of historical fiction for her grandson and I realized I still had a copy of Crispin in my bookcase. I remembered reading it years ago when I was still teaching and knew it was a compelling story, a Newberry Medal winner as a matter of fact. I couldn't think why I still had this novel in my collection since I had long ago given away my classroom library. When I pulled it off the shelf with the intention of passing it on to the grandson, I realized it is an autographed copy of the book signed by the author when he spoke at our local library. I still intend to give it away.

The setting of this story is 14th century England, a time when there was very strict social class structure and much hard labor and injustice for the lower classes. The protagonist has been called Asta's son for all of his 13 years but after his mother, Asta, dies, he finds out his given name is Crispin. With his mother gone, he has only one friend, Father Quinel, and one frightening enemy, John Aycliffe, the steward of Lord Furnival, who seems something like the sheriff of the small town. When Aycliffe falsely accuses Crispin of theft, he names the boy a "wolf's head" which means anyone can kill him. This sends Crispin on the run, taking with him a cross of lead given to him by his mother. 

As Lady Fortune would have it, Crispin meets up with Orson Hrothgar, a huge man called Bear. At first Bear is quite threatening and makes Crispin his slave. As they travel together though, their relationship changes. In many ways Bear saves Crispin and late in the story, Crispin is able to repay him. Bear reminded me of Hagrid in the Harry Potter series----a giant of a man, intimidating but kind-hearted.

I really enjoyed rereading this novel. I will rate it a 5 as juvenile fiction. I would think it most appropriate for grades 4 and higher.

No comments:

Post a Comment