Saturday, December 18, 2021

The Great Christmas Kidnapping Caper by Jean Van Leeuwen

 "It's the perfect place to spend the winter. Besides all the comforts of my own little house, there is plenty of food just an escalator ride away, TV to while away the long winter nights, the electric train for excitement. And with the cop around, just enough danger to keep life interesting. Yes, I have made my decision. I will not set foot out of the store until spring."

              -Marvin the Magnificent, from the novel

This is one of my favorite books to read aloud to kids at Christmas time. Remembering my fondness for it, I wanted to share it with some new children at our church. (Sadly, my grandchildren are way too grown up and I am not sure I ever shared it with them.) It is out of print so a bit difficult to find. I did manage to order two used copies.

I reread the book in short order since I wanted to loan it out. Although I knew the plot quite well, I enjoyed it so much---an easy read and lots of laughs! Illustrations by Steven Kellogg are wonderfully detailed and comical. The book gets a 5 rating from me. Fantasy is not a favorite genre, as a rule, but when it comes to children's literature there are several exceptions. 

Marvin the Magnificent is the main character, a mouse with plenty of bravado. To get out of the cold New York December, he steps inside a store which turns out to be Macy's. As you see in the quote, he finds it the perfect home for a mouse. He soon decides to fetch his gang: Raymond the Rat (the smart one) and Fats the Fuse (well-named because he is "pleasingly plump" and has a fondness for explosives). 

The much-beloved Santa Claus of the Macy's toy department discovers the mice living in the doll house and is kind to them. When he goes missing, the gang decides he has been kidnapped and they must find and rescue him.

If I revealed anymore, I'd spoil the surprises. Just read and enjoy! (If you can find a copy!)

Merry Christmas! 

No comments:

Post a Comment