Wednesday, September 28, 2022

A Couple of Blaguards by Malachy and Frank McCourt

 

"Come here, come here till I comb that hair. Look at that mop, it won't lie down. You didn't get that hair from my side of the family. That's that North of Ireland hair you got from your father. That's the kind of hair you see on Presbyterians. If your mother had married a decent Limerickman you wouldn't have that standing up, north of Ireland Presbyterian hair."

             -Grandmother's lament over Frank's hair


I have had this book for some time. I purchased it after reading---and loving---Angela's Ashes and 'Tis by Frank McCourt. This book, more like a booklet with just over 50 pages, is written as a play. I wish I could have seen this performed by the two brothers. It must have been hilarious as they play themselves as well as many characters in their childhood in Limerick, including the grandmother quoted above. Since I am a Presbyterian that story about Frank's first communion made me laugh aloud.

I did learn what blaguards are. It is Celtic form of black guard, a dockworker specializing in unloading coal from ships in Dublin's harbor.

I am not sure what took me so long to read this book. It surely was a quick read with much humor. I will rate it a 4 for enjoyment. Here is an example of the humor from an Introduction by Malachy: "Very loosely, it [the play] is meant to convey a bit of drama, a lot of comedy, and a few tears but, most importantly, it is intended for people who want to lose weight because we have high hopes that you will laugh your arse off and finish reading with a smile on your lips and a song in your heart."

No comments:

Post a Comment