Friday, September 16, 2022

Jacob Have I Loved by Katherine Paterson


 "I have loved you,” says the Lord.

“But you ask, ‘How have you loved us?’

“Was not Esau Jacob’s brother?” declares the Lord. “Yet I have loved Jacob, but Esau I have hated, and I have turned his hill country into a wasteland and left his inheritance to the desert jackals.”                  -Malachi 1:2-3

Katherine Paterson was one of my favorite authors when I was teaching 5th grade. When my adult Sunday school class was discussing a lesson from Genesis 25:19-34 (the story of Jacob and Esau) last week, I was reminded of this youth novel. I couldn't remember much of the plot although I believe I read it back in the day. I just recalled that the twins in the novel were girls. I reread the book in a couple of days and found it quite engaging.

Protagonist Sara Louise Bradshaw and her twin sister Caroline live on Rass Island on Chesapeake Bay. Their father makes his living as a "waterman" as do most others in the community. He fishes oysters and crab in their seasons and many of those descriptions were not well understood or greatly appreciated by this reader. However, the relationship between the two sisters was more intriguing. Very reminiscent of the Bible story in which one twin is favored. Caroline is pretty, talented and popular, seemingly favored by the parents. Louise, nicknamed Wheeze by her sister and friend, Call Purnell, struggles with poor self-esteem, jealousy and resentment toward her twin.

There are many Biblical references in the book, often quoted by the curmudgeonly grandmother, but also some humor, especially when Louise tells jokes that Call doesn't get and later, he tells jokes that she doesn't find funny.

This is one of Paterson's Newberry Award winners from 1981, a very high honor. I am rating the book a 4. I enjoyed it even though the last couple of chapters felt rushed. Since the book is written for young people, it is an easy read but worthwhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment