Saturday, October 15, 2022

Sparring Partners by John Grisham

 

"My point was that big words do not always convey big emotions, and a fancy vocabulary can get in the way of good writing."

     -Iris Vanderkamp, from "Strawberry Moon"



I waited several weeks for this eBook to be delivered to my Kindle from the library. I wish I could say it was worth the wait. I have read many of Grisham's novels over the years and loved them. This one---not so much. I am rating it a 3.

Apparently, this is Grisham's first collection of novellas---3 to be exact. "Homecoming" involves Jake Brigance, a small-town Mississippi attorney with whom Grisham fans are quite familiar. Instead of a court case, Jake is asked to help an old friend who has been in hiding for years under suspicious circumstances to return home.

"Strawberry Moon" has Cody Wallace on death row and facing execution within hours. The best part of this story is when he is visited by Iris Vanderkamp, an elderly lady and former high school English teacher, who has supplied Cody with numerous books during his years in prison. Iris was my favorite character of all 3 novellas because she had been a teacher and loved books---much like me. She seemed very kind and caring, as well.

The title story was "Sparring Partners" which refers to the Malloy brothers, partners in a law firm. Rusty and Kirk are like oil and water and avoid each other as much as possible. Diantha Bradshaw, the unofficial partner, is forced to keep the peace.

The senior Malloy, disbarred and in prison, still tries to control the firm and is hiding BIG money from a past settlement. When the brothers, along with Diantha and their accountant start to make plans that would keep the patriarch from getting the early release he desires and to put their hands on some of his millions, things get dicey. Diantha is forced to make an important decision.

I found all 3 story endings unsatisfying and most of the characters hard to like (except Iris and Jake Brigance who's been a favorite of mine since A Time to Kill). I am being generous with my rating of 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment