Wednesday, May 22, 2024

Oath and Honor by Liz Cheney

 

"Let us resolve that we will fight to do what is right. And that we will be able to look back on these days and to say in our time of testing, We did our duty and we stood for truth. Ultimately, that is what our duty as Americans requires of us, that we love our country more, that we love her so much, that we will stand above politics to defend her, and that we will do everything in our power to protect our Constitution and our freedom paid for by the blood of so many."

        -Liz Cheney, from the memoir


The Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the United States' Capitol worked tirelessly for 18 months to research all that happened before, during and after January 6, 2021. As I watched portions of their findings on TV in 2022, I came to greatly admire Liz Cheney, one of only two Republicans on the committee. She is so dedicated to upholding her oath to our country's Constitution, she sacrificed her political career. She never wavered even when threatened by Trump's minions. 

When this book was released last December, I put it on my want-to-read list, and it did not disappoint. It was riveting although I can't really say entertaining AND I had seen and heard about most of these events from the 2020 election forward. The memoir is a very comprehensive and, I believe, a factual account of the happenings surrounding that presidential election and its aftermath. My rating is 4.

Near the end of the book Cheney says in warning, "Can a president who is willing to make the choices Donald Trump made during the violence of January 6th ever be trusted with any position of authority in our great nation again?" I agree with Cheney, the answer is NO.

No comments:

Post a Comment