Tuesday, May 28, 2024

The Devil's Bed by William Kent Krueger

 

"1. The world is hard. Be strong.

 2.  Love is for only a few. Don't expect it.

 3. Life isn't fair. But some people are. Be one of them."

               -Bo Thorsen's credo for life


I am a HUGE fan of Mr. Krueger. I believe I have now read all of his novels. At first, I was disappointed in this one because I had been anticipating another installment in the Cork O'Connor series. This one I would call a political thriller which is a departure for this author. It didn't take long for me to be hooked and, toward the end, I was finding it hard to put down. I rate it a 5.

Bo Thorsen is with the Secret Service and assigned to protect the First Lady of the U.S., Katherine "Kate" Jorgenson Dixon. Early in the novel Kate's father, a former vice-president, has a terrible farming accident at his home in Minnesota...or was it? Bo discovers a mysterious man, David Moses, whom the reader first knows as Nightmare or Nocturne when he is telling his own story. Doesn't take long to see him as a monster. But then again... is he?

So many twists and turns and just who should Bo trust? President Clay Dixon seems like an upfront guy but his father, a senior senator, may be up to no good. Although this is not a typical murder mystery, people are dying and Bo uncovers a deep-seated conspiracy in the government and, at great risk to himself, sets out to investigate and bring the evil to light. Need I say more?

No comments:

Post a Comment