Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Beach Music by Pat Conroy

"Once I was a wide-eyed captive of those times and there was no twelve-point program to wean me off the addiction to drivel I succumbed to during that dreary era of the Vietnam War. The greatest tragedy of that war was not the senseless death of young men on strangely named battlefields, but that it turned the whole country stupid overnight. It also made enemies of the closest group of friends I had ever known."
              -Jack McCall, from the novel

At 700+ pages, I thought I would never finish this one but I was determined to get to the end! I believe  it actually could have been about 3 novels. I am a huge fan of Conroy and this one did not disappoint. It definitely rates a 5 from me.

The protagonist is Jack McCall, a young father, who suffers the tragic loss of his wife to suicide and takes his daughter to Rome to live. He feels he is justified in leaving his home of Waterford, South Carolina, and the rest of his family behind. He seems to be trying to escape from the pain and hide from the past. When he receives word that his mother is dying of leukemia, he makes his way home where he must come to grips with many emotions he has tried to stifle.

Conroy is a storyteller extraordinaire and captivates with horrifying narratives of the Holocaust told by secondary characters of his parents' generation and descriptions of the 1960s and how the Vietnam War affected him and his peers. (See quote above) Even the flashback story of a fishing trip with his high school buddies---a trip gone very wrong---is quite intense.

Conroy is a gifted writer. I am in awe of his sometimes poetic descriptions of the Low Country that is so familiar to him personally. The chapters were long which I don't always like but it was a true page-turner, just the same. The abusive fathers of this story are reminiscent of characters in other Conroy novels and touch on autobiographical details of his own father (The Great Santini). Also the main character, Jack McCall, is a food critic and cookbook author and loves to cook. Conroy has also written a cookbook, The Pat Conroy Cookbook, and in South of Broad, protagonist Leo enjoys being chef for his friends just as Jack does in this novel.

I have yet to read all Conroy's work but I am getting there!

No comments:

Post a Comment