Tuesday, August 1, 2017

More Than Petticoats: Remarkable Florida Women by E. Lynne Wright

"I hope this book will help to bring at least a few of the remarkable Florida women out of the shadows, into public consciousness and perhaps the history books, where they belong. We thank them for allowing us to stand on their shoulders."
              -E. Lynne Wright, from the book's introduction

Wow! This one was more enlightening and enjoyable than I ever thought. I first saw the book in the gift shop at the Orange County Regional History Center in Orlando. I made a note of it and later tried to order it on Amazon but was informed it was out of stock. The public library came through with a copy which arrived by mail. I hadn't wanted to spend much on the book without knowing if it was worthwhile. After finishing it, I'll definitely be purchasing it next time I'm at the History Center. And do I have a plan for it! More on that later....

Ms. Wright has written short biographies of 14 women who made significant impacts on Florida. In her subtitle she describes them as remarkable. Let me just add more adjectives:  courageous, smart, compassionate, strong---physically and otherwise, visionary and inspiring. A few of the women I was quite familiar with----Marjory Stoneman Douglas, Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings and Zora Neale Hurston, and to a lesser degree in my studies of Florida history---Mary McLeod Bethune, Julia Tuttle and Ruth Bryan Owen.  The other 8 I had never even heard of---women who helped the natives, promoted education and care of the environment, provided medical care and broke gender barriers---all women ahead of their times!

Wright (an appropriate name for an author!) has a very readable style and keeps her bios concise while adding human interest quotes and anecdotes from her subjects.

I am so impressed by the stories of these women I am determined to develop a new class for the Rollins College Lifelong Learning program, in which I have participated for 3 years as an instructor. I will title it something similar to the book's title and teach it in March, Women's History Month. Great idea, huh? With 4 classes I may have to narrow the focus to 3 women per week but I will hate having to choose two to omit.

This one gets a 5 rating from me and I'd recommend it to history buffs and Florida lovers!
------------------------
I have now purchased the copy of the book I originally noticed. Lo and behold, there are now 15 women featured! And the title and subtitle are reversed. Obviously a newer edition. Can't wait to reread AND be able to highlight to my heart's content!

No comments:

Post a Comment