Thursday, August 17, 2017

The Two Henrys, Henry Plant and Henry Flagler and Their Railroads by Sandra Wallus Sammons

Henry Bradley Plant
Tampa Bay Hotel


"I regard work as on [of] the essential principles of my success---my personal supervision of every detail of my business. I believe in never leaving to others what I can do myself."
                -Henry Bradley Plant




I read this duel biography for the same reason I mentioned in the post about Henry Ford. Another juvenile biography, it gave me a "down and dirty" summary of two Henrys who were so significant in opening up the Florida peninsula and contributing greatly to tourism, just as Ford did with his
Model T automobile.

Here are some fascinating parallels between the two:
Both were born in the North.
Both dropped out of school after 8th grade.
Each one experienced Florida for the first time due to wives who were ill and needed a warmer climate (and interestingly both wives died young).
Both became very wealthy in their lifetimes.
They knew each other and were "friendly competitors."

From the title of the book, you realize both Plant and Flagler were railroad magnates but you might not know Plant built railroads and then the elaborate Tampa Bay Hotel (now housing a part of Tampa University and the Henry Bradley Plant Museum) for people who arrived in Tampa by train. Flagler, on the other hand, began the magnificent Ponce de Leon Hotel (now part of Flagler College) in St. Augustine only to discover he needed railroads to get required building materials.

Flagler was a member of the Plant Investment Company established by Henry Plant in 1882, as was the 4th Henry, Henry Sanford. Plant was already building railroads in north, central and southwest Florida before Flagler began his work along the east coast but Flagler made up for lost time by extending rail service all the way to Key West, eventually, and by building several beautiful hotels.

"I have however, one ailment (old age) which is incurable, and that I am submitting to as gracefully as possible. I am quite sure, however, that I possess as much vitality and can do as much work as the average man of forty-five."
Henry Morrison Flagler





                -Henry Morrison Flagler
Ponce de Leon Hotel



No comments:

Post a Comment