Wednesday, November 9, 2022

The Winners by Fredrik Backman


 "We hate Hed and Hed hates us. If we win every other hockey game throughout the season but lose just one game against, it feels like a failed season. It isn't enough for things to go well for us, things also need to go to hell for them, only then can we be properly happy."    
  -from the novel, a Beartown Bears fan


The quote above reminded me of football rivalries in the US such as Alabama-Auburn and Florida-FSU! You are qualified as a fan if you HATE the other team and always root for their opponent. (That coming from an Auburn fan who knows!)

I have really liked the few Backman novels I have read but not this one. I will rate it a 3 only because the writing is excellent---often humorous, sometimes profound. This one just had too much writing---over 600 pages---and the topic was hockey, a sport I know next to nothing about. I finished it only because I read far enough to want to know what happened to the characters. And there are many characters---some violent and some victims of violence, adding to the suspense. Backman is generous with his foreshadowing, as well.

I recommend this one to hockey fans! 



No comments:

Post a Comment