Friday, June 16, 2023

A Girl Called Samson by Amy Harmon

 

"Many wonder what it is all for. I wonder what it is all for. And yet that truth, the truth of the ages, is that it is not for ourselves that we act. It is not our lives we are building, but the lives of generations that will come. America will be a beacon to the world---I believe that with all my heart---but that beacon is lit with sacrifice."

               -Brigadier General John Paterson, from the novel



My readers know that historical fiction is my favorite genre. When it comes to American history, I enjoy Colonial and Revolutionary eras, particularly. This was the first I have read involving that setting in quite a while and I truly enjoyed it. 

The novel refers to Deborah Samson (or Sampson), a young woman who disguised herself as a male to join the Continental Army. She had a fairly unhappy childhood and youth, abandoned by her father and sent into foster care situations by a mother who couldn't cope. When she turned 18, she ran away to become a soldier. She was so respected in her bravery and work ethic that she became aide-de-camp to General John Paterson. She spent a good bit of time worrying about her true gender being discovered. I am in awe of how long she actually pulled it off! 

I was familiar with some of Deborah's story, but this fictionalized account was quite entertaining. There were a number of familiar historical figures mentioned, including George Washington, Baron von Steuben and Benedict Arnold. The above quoted John Paterson, who has a big part in this novel, was apparently a real person but I had NOT heard of him. There were several well-known battle sites mentioned also. Certainly, Yorktown was important, but I didn't realize the conflict didn't actually end there. 

The Author's Note gives information about what is true to history and what is not, but I wish Ms. Harmon had gone farther with it as I was left confused about some events and relationships. Can't say too much more about that without spoiling the plot! I was inspired to look up biographical information about Deborah which confirmed some parts of the story and added some background about her life after the war, SOME of which matched the novel's ending.

In a tour of Boston years ago, we had an evening program in which "Deborah Sampson" spoke of her very unique experiences. I was selected from the audience to be "dressed" as Robert Shurtliff, her alter-ego. It was great fun for me, a special memory. Perhaps that was one of the reasons I enjoyed the book so much. I rate it a 5.




No comments:

Post a Comment