Saturday, June 3, 2023

The Librarian Spy by Madeline Martin

 

"I mean that this present we live in is tomorrow's history. You ask if this is important. This is the education for our future, to learn from the mistakes that have been made now and never let atrocities such as this continue or be repeated."

         -Ava, from the novel


In April 1943, Ava Harper, a librarian at the Library of Congress accepts a position with the O.S.S., Office of Strategic Services, in Lisbon, Portugal. Her role is documenting events in WWII Europe.

On the same timeline, in Lyon, France, Elaine Rousseau becomes involved in the maquis, or French resistance movement after her husband is imprisoned for his own work as a maquisard. At first, she makes secret deliveries and later does much of the printing. When a Jewish mother and small child in Lyon are desperate to escape the Nazis, Elaine hides them but must find a safer haven for them.

As one might predict, these two women connect, but somewhat surprisingly through secret codes, to help the two refugees.

I am rating this novel a 3+. For too long I was confused as to the two women's situations. One had a brother in the military and the other, a husband in prison. Both were involved with clandestine papers. Of course, many secondary characters didn't help.

I really liked the two settings of Lisbon and Lyon since I have visited both. I have fond memories of each city, but Lisbon was such a lovely surprise. The story reminded me of the mosaic walkways and the blue and while tiles, called azuelejos, in many places. Sadly, we ran out of time to visit Sintra which is mentioned as a "not to miss" site in Lisbon. Our guide HAD told us about the 1755 earthquake that devastated much of Lisbon. I had forgotten that Portugal was neutral in WWII. And I actually didn't realize that Lyon was the hub of the French resistance.

I read the book in an e-version, so I never saw the cover art and I think it is perfect!



No comments:

Post a Comment