Monday, July 3, 2023

Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen

 

"My father felt it his duty to continue to treat animals long after he stopped getting paid. He couldn't stand by and watch a horse colic or a cow labor with a breech calf even though it meant personal ruin. The parallel is undeniable. There is no question that I am the only thing standing between these animals and the business practices of August and Uncle Al, and what my father would do---what my father would want me to do---is look after them, and I am filled with that absolute and unwavering conviction. No matter what I did last night, I cannot leave these animals. I am their shepherd, their protector. It's more than a duty. It's a covenant with my father."

                             -Jacob, from the novel


I love, love, love this book! It was one of the first novels our Page Turners read when we began in 2008 and one of the highest rated ever with a 4.8 out of 5. I just enjoyed it again for a summer reading challenge which required I reread a favorite. I finished it in 2 days---such a page-turner!

The Prologue starts the story off with a BANG and leaves you wanting---needing---to read on! You will not solve the mystery until near the end when the event repeats and you learn what REALLY happened.

Jacob Jankowski tells his story from his 90-something-year-old perspective in a few alternating chapters with his memories of his time with the Benzini Brothers Most Spectacular Show on Earth, a fictional train circus. The young Jacob is about to sit exams for his veterinary degree when his parents are killed and he finds they were greatly in debt so there will be no inheritance. He doesn't set out to join the circus but that's what happens. 

While Jacob meets some friendly, helpful sorts, and a young, beautiful performer, he discovers some of the men in charge, Uncle Al, the boss and August, the equestrian director and superintendent of animals, are very cruel. As an almost-vet who was raised by a vet (see quote), he has a very hard time coping with the abuse, especially of Rosie, the elephant. Even the workers are often mistreated (an understatement!).

The Author's Note was particularly interesting where Ms. Gruen shares how she came to write the novel and some of the recorded events of circus history she researched and included in this story. Water for Elephants gets a 5 rating from me---AGAIN! I now want to view the film version a second time and find another by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment