Saturday, July 1, 2023

Forever by Judy Blume

 

"In the old days girls were divided into two groups---those who did and those who didn't. My mother told me that. Nice girls didn't, naturally. They were the ones boys wanted to marry. I'm glad those days are over but I still get angry when older people assume that everyone in my generation screws around."

                   -Katherine, from the novel

After hearing of more and more banned books (and this is one) and viewing an interview with Judy Blume, I decided I wanted to read this one. As an upper elementary teacher, I read MANY Judy Blume novels, mostly meant for 8–12-year-olds. I had found her to be a wonderful author of children's literature. This one is more appropriate for young adults. It involves young love and has considerable sexual content, probably leading to the controversy. 

Ironically, I read Forever in one day. I gave it a 3 rating. I imagine it would be higher for its targeted teenaged audience. I wouldn't want to see young children reading this book, but I believe it is appropriate for high schoolers since it presents issues with which they are faced and suggests a practical and safe approach toward sex.

I think I will soon try to read a couple of Blume's adult novels which seem geared towards women: Summer Sisters, Smart Women and Wifey.

No comments:

Post a Comment